In Search of Light

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Tell me what you saw." The Stranger asks in a strained voice, the tiniest quiver betraying nis fear.

The young woman reaches over to initiate contact, but her hand is deflected by an unseen shield.

Ne promises nimself that ne would not budge.

---

"Murkiness, that was the first thing I noticed." Her thought flows out to nim.

"At the time I did not know I was on the verge of discovery, of something big." She says in the void, "Well, something significant at least to me."

The monologue begins: "My parents are lying on the bed, dressed in their summer nightgown and tank top, bellies exposed to the darker than the darkest midnight blue."

"I was staring out a window set on the plastered wall. Illuminating the room was a disquieting light that filters through the static black branches outside.

The bedroom opened into a back field full of white crosses and tombstones spanning across countless low hills.

Through the doorway, everything in the cemetery was drenched in coldness and clothed in silvery-grey moonlight.

I remember gingerly lifting my foot out into the moor but turned back and fled at the last moment, sensing shadows I did not see.

My heart was thumping against my chest.

Annexed to the bedroom was an empty chamber casted in fluorescent white. The coldness was everywhere. There was no warmth and the well-lit room did not offer me comfort. I raised my head and could not bear but sheltered my eyes against the blinding light-source above.

Shut doors made in unidentifiable materials and a miniature goblin-like man guards my every turn. He meant me no harm, I am sure. In retrospect, it was better that I did not venture."

She pauses here, her palms rubbing against the table's edge.

---

"Continue," ne prompts, aware the Existence Quota is willowing away. The revolving vortex is already dissipating and she will be erased along with this space.

The secret has to be kept under the bolt, even if it means sacrificing an innocent lamb.

Who am I to question the Order, I am but an agent of their doing. The Stranger gloomily ponders, whipping up the swirling patterns within the vortex's continuum. "Your confession will only set you free. Now go on."

She nods, the dark circles under her eyes have manifested themselves more visibly than the last time ne was in to tend to her. The Watchers would have to be chastised for ill-management later. The Stranger grumbles in his mind.

She picks up the pace once more and swallows, "There was a steel-stairway leading up to an indoor industrial gangway and I was groping, I was groping the frosted windows, trying to slide them open one by one. But the hinges would not yield and I was excluded from the passing shining light emanating from the other side of the windows."

Here she starts to cry again and the Stranger can only sit in silence, unable to offer her any consolation. She has been rejected, deemed fallen and perhaps in some way there is reason in this justice, yet I do not understand the decision to erase her.

"I feel much better now. Thank you for seeing me again, doctor." The young woman brightens up momentarily.

By the time ne comes around to respond, it is already too late. She has been frozen in cryostasis.

"Time to send her on her merry way." The Warden's voice startles nim, her voice floating up hallowly from nis wrist.

---

When the orb finally finished imploding, the Stranger remains standing on the solitary jumping-board structure. Ne words out a command code-string and sends the glowing petal skyward to join the rest of the others ascending to the Exit.

"She was a good container, too bad there is more truth in her nightmares than she realized," says the Warden. "So, will you be joining us for dinner after work?"

"I will pass. There are a few more on the list to be modified." Ne brushed off her delicate white fingers on nis shoulders.

"__________, you are taking this duty too seriously. Lighten up, it can't be helped." The Warden watched nis expressionless visage and softens her tone, concern written all over her face.

"Thanks for the advice, you guys go and enjoy the rest of the warp-cycle." The Stranger taps on his wrist and fades out of view.

"Wait-"

"Don't oppose him, you know how he is." One of the nearby Circlet Templars rubs his eyebrows and sighs before walking towards the gate, trailed by his other two colleagues in slender, billowing garbs.

With one last glance, the Warden can only shake her head and descends after them down the steps into reality.


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2008 Siderean Tales | DezembroI by TNB

This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com Blogger Templates